To solve problems effectively you must do the following.
1. Manage your emotional state-avoid “overwhelm.” Learn to associate massive pain to the state of being overwhelmed; associate pleasure to solving the problem.
2. Write the problem on paper. Spend no more than 20% of the time defining it-80% of the time should be spent on the solution.
3. Come up with your best plan for handling the challenge and act upon it as quickly as possible.
4. Notice what you’re getting from your current actions.
5. If what you’re doing isn’t working, change your approach. Develop more flexibility by asking yourself, What would happen if…
6. Find role models and get their answers.
7. Change your beliefs about what problems are-call them challenges-they are opportunities for you to grow.
THE PROBLEM-SOLVING QUESTIONS
1. What is great about this problem?
2. What is not perfect yet?
3. What am I willing to do to make it the way I want it?
4. What am I willing to no longer do in order to make it the way I want it?
5. How can I enjoy the process while I do what is necessary to make it the way I want it?

 

Always use 20% of time to define the problem (asking why and what it is), and utilize the other 80% to seek a solution.

Jeff

25 Apr, 2008

Advertisements